You may be aware from the media of recent alleged attacks, sexual assaults and thefts made on women by men of predominantly North African or Middle Eastern appearance in
other major cities in Germany
on New Year’s Eve. These attacks are of course being taken very seriously
by the German authorities who are thoroughly investigating the incidents as
well as reviewing their policing operations and manning levels.
Members of our community are understandably concerned by this turn of events not least as similar attacks, albeit on a much smaller scale, have been reported by the German media as having taken place in
Bielefeld and Paderborn.
It is important to stress that there is no information or intelligence to suggest that our community is at a higher risk than the local German community. The biggest risk to our people is that they get caught up in such an incident by chance. We recommend that all members of our community act vigilantly, review their personal security and actively avoid likely trouble spots.
HQ BFG continues to liaise with the German authorities and are monitoring events. We will provide further updates as necessary, including any information we have on areas to avoid.
SERVICE POLICE PERSONAL SAFETY ADVICE
1. Don’t walk alone at night where possible within Town Centres and try to stay in populated areas that are well lit.
2. Where possible, remain in groups and look after each other.
3. Try not to let alcohol affect your judgement or your ability to look after yourself or those around you.
4. Use Taxis where possible to transit between night venues.
5. Be discreet with your belongings and try not to openly display valuables.
6. Do not carry large amounts of cash with you.
7. If you are challenged, and there is an attempt to take your property – let them have it!
8. Try and remember as many details as you can and as soon as possible once you are safe call the Police on 110 – it is an emergency and police officers will be with you as quickly as possible.
If you are out in Town and you see this type of behaviour you are urged to dial 110 immediately and request assistance. Be prepared to give your location, the number of people involved, descriptions and the direction offenders have fled in.
GERMAN POLICE APPEAL
The German Civil Police is appealing for victims and witnesses to come forward following an incident during the early hours of Sunday the 10 th of January 2016 , that occurred on Alte Torgasse,
About 0315 hrs that morning, a group of approximately 10 males believed to be of North African descent approached members of the public, surrounded them and are alleged to have touched them intimately.
If you were in the area at the time, witnessed the incident or have any information with regard to this incident, please contact the GCP direct on05251 3060. Alternatively, you can contact the RMP Community Engagement and Intelligence Team on 05254 9822467 .